LEADING THE WORLD IN SUSTAINABLE TOURISM
BY EMBRACING THESE VALUES, WE WILL ACHIEVE OUR VISION OF A SUCCESSFUL AND SUSTAINABLE TOURISM INDUSTRY:
Kaitiakitanga | the guardianship and protection of our natural, built and cultural resources for the benefit of current and future generations.
Manaakitanga | showing respect, hospitality, generosity and care for others.
Whanaungatanga | a relationship through shared experiences and working together which provides people with a sense of belonging.
The New Zealand Tourism Sustainability Commitment establishes eight Goals for the tourism industry to attain by 2025 and a set of 14 Commitments that individual businesses can achieve to reach those goals. These Goals and Commitments have been developed by industry for industry.
8 Industry Goals
Achieving Economically Sustainable Tourism
Tourism is delivering prosperity across the New Zealand economy
Goal 1: $41 billion total annual tourism revenue by 2025
Goal 2: Tourism businesses are experiencing sustainable growth through ongoing profitability, innovation, quality improvement and investment
Achieving Visitor Sustainability
New Zealand delivers world leading experiences for both international and domestic visitors.
Goal 3: International and domestic visitors’ experience of New Zealand overwhelmingly meets or exceeds expectations.
Goal 4: Tourism businesses actively engage with their visitors to ensure that the visitor experience is enhanced and adverse impacts are reduced.
Achieving Sustainable Host Community
New Zealanders strongly support and reap the benefit from tourism operating in their community.
Goal 5: New Zealanders are happy with the level of tourism activity and support growth.
Goal 6: Tourism businesses are desirable and responsible employers, and leaders in engaging and supporting vibrant communities.
Achieving Environmentally Sustainable Tourism
Tourism is recognised for its contribution to protecting, restoring and enhancing New Zealand’s natural environmental and biodiversity.
Goal 7: Tourism businesses actively support and champion ecological restoration initiatives.
Goal 8: Tourism businesses are measuring, managing and minimising their environmental footprint.
14 Business Commitments
1. Sustainable Businesses: Focused on long-term financial performance.
2. Capital Investment: Businesses invest capital to grow, and/or improve quality and productivity.
3. Productivity: Businesses innovative and have effective strategies to mitigate the effects of seasonality.
4. Visitor Satisfaction: Businesses undertake customer satisfaction monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
5. Product and Market Development: Businesses innovate to improve or upgrade their offering to enhance visitor experience.
6. Visitor Engagement: Businesses educate visitors about New Zealand’s cultural and behavioural expectations.
7. Sustainable Employment: Businesses pay a fair wage to all staff.
8. Quality Employment: Businesses support their workforce to flourish and succeed.
9. Community Engagement: Businesses actively engage with the communities in which they operate.
10. Sustainable Supply Chains: Businesses have socially and environmentally sustainable supply chains
11. Ecological Restoration: Businesses contribute to ecological restoration initiatives.
12. Carbon Reduction: Businesses have carbon reduction programmes towards carbon neutrality.
13. Waste Management: Businesses have waste reduction and management programmes.
14. Education: Businesses actively engage with their visitors and communities on the importance of restoring, protecting and enhancing New Zealand’s natural environment.
It is good to remember the past but wisdom comes from being able to prepare opportunities for the future.
He pai te tirohanga ki ngā mahara mo ngā raa pahemo engari ka puta te maaramatanga i runga i te titiro whakamua.